Friday, April 3, 2009

Winter in Madrid by C. J. Sansom


Winter In Madrid is a story about Harry Brett, A traumatized soldier from the battle of Dunkirk. He is sent to Spain by the British government to spy on a former school friend, Sandy Forsyth, believed to be a shady businessman.
In the beginning it comes off as more of a spy novel but there is also a hit of a love story that lightens up the book a little bit. I feel that Sansom put a lot of work into researching the history of Europe during the 1940’s before he even began writing the story. The characters seem to fit the time period very well but I found it hard to keep myself interested in the book because it seemed to be overloaded with so many facts that it took away from the storyline.
Sansom did a good job at sticking to the main storyline that he laid out in the first couple chapters of the book. I never found myself questioning why things were happening or what made him describe events that were taking place because everything seemed to mesh with the story.
Though the story was easy to follow and really well written there were times I had to push myself to keep reading which took away from the book. The book seemed to be written well but it was full of a lot of facts that took away from the fictitious nature the story was supposed to be set up in. I believe that I would recommend this book to a few people I know but the vast majority of my friends would not be interested in it. All in all I think it was an ok book

No comments:

Post a Comment